Whether you’re having a BBQ at home or you’re venturing further afield in London, there are lots of great tips for barbecue cooking. Gas BBQs are actually more eco-friendly than charcoal BBQs; charcoal emits three times the amount of CO2 (a greenhouse gas) than BBQ gas and gas is more efficient for cooking, meaning you need to use it for a shorter period.
Before you begin cooking on your gas BBQ, there are a few things to remember:
1. Check your bottles! Make sure you have enough Calor gas bottles; these can be delivered straight to your door if you live in the London area
2. Clean is key Make sure the BBQ is dry and clean before you use it. Avoid harsh chemicals; soap and water work best and help to protect your BBQ
3. 'Tis the season Season the grill by preheating the BBQ and coating the grill with cooking oil. Close the BBQ and let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes before wiping it clean with a damp cloth.
There are different cooking techniques on a gas barbecue. The first is called ‘over the burner’ cooking and it’s used for steaks, burgers and veggies that need to be seared then cooked. The food sits right over the burner, the hottest part of the grill.
4. Give it some room Space and patience are the key to cooking well on a gas BBQ. Only turn the meat once and make sure you give it enough room on the grill. Overcrowding can cause the grill to heat unevenly so make sure there is at least two inches between each piece of meat. Away from the burner cooking is used for chicken, roasts and fish.
To do this, preheat the grill, then once it’s hot, turn off one side and put the food on the unlit side. Close the lid and essentially your gas BBQ becomes an oven.
5. Avoid flare-ups Flare-ups can occur on a barbecue when there is too much heat and grease, so it’s important to keep your grill clean. If a flare up does happen, put the lid down, turn off all the burners, then switch off your gas bottles. Let the BBQ cool down.
Make sure you’re stocked up for all your fun BBQs this year. London Gases will deliver BBQ gas, beer gas or Calor gas straight to your door, freeing you up to spend more time cooking delicious food on the BBQ!