We might not always have the weather for it, but when the sun appears, Brit’s flock to their gardens for a good outdoor barbecue. If you are looking to level up your grilling this summer, you might be wondering what barbecue is best – coal barbecues or gas barbecues?
Well, wonder no more as we take a look at the benefits and disadvantages of both barbecues to help you find the perfect match for your cookout.
Charcoal, briquettes, and coal all offer the classic smokey flavours that we associate with a good barbecue. Reaching incredible heats, a coal barbecue can grill practically anything with ease. These versatile barbecue setups are a perfect way to cook up some burgers, baked potatoes or steaks.
Advantages of a coal barbecue:
- Classic smokey barbecue flavour
- Gets very hot – perfect for searing lots of meats
- Inexpensive and relatively low maintenance
Disadvantages of a coal barbecue:
- Lighting the barbecue can be a challenge
- Long wait times for barbecue to reach peak temperature
- Hard to clean and creates lots of smoke
- No way to accurately control or regulate temperature
For a more sophisticated outdoor cooking experience, gas barbecues are the way to go. Using a gas canister to fuel the barbecue flames, gas barbecues offer a much more controlled flame that lets you dial in how you want to cook your food. Perfect for those of us who are looking to carefully cook their barbecued food.
Advantages of a gas barbecue:
- Pilot light makes starting the barbecue easy
- Little delaying in reaching peak temperatures
- Easy to clean surface with no smoke
- Adjustable temperature settings to achieve perfect cooking results
Disadvantages of a gas barbecue:
- A more expensive way to cook on a barbecue
- Requires gas canisters which will need maintenance and refilling
- Less portable than coal barbecues
- Lacks the distinct smokey flavour of a coal barbecue
There is no right or wrong answer to which barbecue is better – they just have different purposes. At the end of the day, both of these barbecue types will create incredible food while using a controlled, open flame.