Gas-powered generators, barbecues and other appliances are extremely helpful during camping and caravanning trips and when used correctly, can be much more efficient than open fires. However, there are certain things you need to consider when it comes to gas-powered appliances in order to ensure you stay safe from carbon monoxide leaks. Take a look at our tips to stay safe during a campout.
Never use barbecues indoors
Even if your barbecue is powered by gas, this does not make it safe to use in a confined space such as a tent or caravan. This is also worthwhile considering if you're travelling with a horsebox or other trailer. Always allow for adequate ventilation when using your gas-powered barbecue.
Get an alarm
As carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas, it can be difficult to tell when it reaches dangerous levels until it's too late. That's why if you use gas-powered appliances you should ensure you have a carbon monoxide alarm in your tent, caravan or motorhome. These can be purchased very cheaply online and could save your life.
Ensure to maintain all gas-powered equipment both inside and outside of your tent, caravan or motorhome. Ill-maintained equipment is more at risk of a leak. Always read the instructions of any equipment you use and follow these as directed. Equipment should never be used in a way it wasn't intended for.
Know the signs
The initial symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very reminiscent of flu-like symptoms. If you're starting to feel nauseous, dizzy, tired, confused or short-of-breath, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
When transporting portable patio gas, ensure to check for leaks before they're stored in your vehicle and ensure the area is well ventilated by opening available windows. Ensure the canisters are firmly secured to ensure they don't move excessively and avoid tampering with the canisters.