Which BBQ Gas Bottle Size Do I Need?

At this time of year we often get calls from people who have bought a new barbecue ready for the summer but are unsure which gas bottle they need for it. It can seem very confusing but it is actually very simple when you know how!

Here are some common questions people ask us.

So what type of Gas do I need?  LPG. This stands for liquefied petroleum gas. There are two types of LPG, propane and butane. 

So what is Calor Gas? Calor Gas is simply the LPG brand name that we sell. 

Do I need Propane or Butane for my BBQ? Most modern barbecues run off propane gas.

So I just need to buy a propane gas cylinder? Yes but there are two types of propane cylinder. This is where people get confused. There are Patio Gas and standard Propane cylinders.

How do I know what type of propane cylinder I need? It’s all to do with the type of regulator that your barbecue has. There are two different types of regulator, a “screw in” and a “clip on”. 

But what exactly does this mean? It means all you need to do is source the bottle with the correct fitting and you’re ready to go!

If your barbecue has a “clip on” type regulator (which pushes ONTO THE TOP of a gas cylinder) then you will need a Patio Gas cylinder which is green with red handles. If it has a “screw in” type regulator (which screws INTO the gas cylinder) then you need a Propane cylinder which is red all over. Both types come in a variety of sizes to choose from depending on your space requirements. 

Please have a look at our website for all sizes and prices http://www.londongases.co.uk/browse/calor-gas.

Still unsure? Click here for more help from our website http://www.londongases.co.uk/calor-gas-chooser or give us a call on 020 8807 4633 to talk to one of our experienced staff.

Happy grilling!